Sinéad is a civil litigator with significant appellate experience. She represents clients in state and federal court and assists clients with pre-litigation disputes. Her practice focuses on business disputes, product and professional liability, and consumer class action defense. Sinéad also has an active pro bono practice.
- Represented software service provider in an action alleging breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, and fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation
- Represented computer manufacturer in breach of contract action brought by software company
- Served as in-house patent litigation counsel during a six-month secondment to Dell Inc.
- Represented financial service provider in class actions alleging violations of federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act and common-law and statutory invasion of privacy
- Represented computer manufacturer in class action alleging deceptive advertising and unfair business practices
- Represented client in class actions alleging product defects, misrepresentation, and unfair business practices
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturers of prescription drugs in mass tort litigation; prepared pre-trial motions, including summary judgment motions
- Represented tire manufacturer in mass tort litigation; prepared pre-trial motions, jury charge and charge objections, and motions for directed verdict and judgment as a matter of law
- Served as local counsel in a variety of matters pending in the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas or Travis County District Court
- Assisted clients respond to third-party subpoenas
- Garcia v. Dell, Inc., 905 F. Supp. 2d 1174 (S.D. Cal. 2012) (member of litigation team in case where court compelled individual arbitration in state wide class action involving alleged wiretap violations).
- A.A. ex rel. Betenbaugh v. Needville Indep. Sch. Dist., 611 F.3d 248, 253 (5th Cir. 2010) (member of appellate team in case where Court of Appeals upheld religious right of Native American kindergartner to wear his long hair in braids at public school).
- Oestreicher v. Alienware Corp., 322 Fed. Appx. 489 (9th Cir. 2009) (lead trial counsel in case where Court of Appeals upheld dismissal under Rule 12(b)(6) of class action alleging defective computer hardware).
- Humphrey v. United Parcel Serv., 200 Fed. Appx. 950, 951 (11th Cir. 2006) (member of appellate team where Court of Appeals affirmed dismissal of RICO and race discrimination claims).
- In re SWEPI, L.P., 103 S.W.3d 578 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2003, orig. proceeding) (member of appellate team where Court of Appeals found SWEPI’s request to conduct a directional survey and bottom pressure test a well was timely, and the requested tests were relevant, based on good cause, and not unduly burdensome).
- Briefing Attorney to the Honorable Harriet O’Neill of the Supreme Court of Texas, 1999-2000
- Appellate Associate, Vinson & Elkins LLP, 2000-2003
- Has the Supreme Court of Texas Altered What It Means to Have “No Adequate Remedy by Appeal” and Other Questions Raised by the Court’s Recent Opinions: In Re Prudential and In Re AIU, 17 App. Advoc. 11 (Spring 2005)
- Lessons from the Courthouse: A Litigators Guide to Contract Drafting (with Paul Schlaud), October 2015
Activities and Affiliations
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Austin Bar Association Civil Appellate Section, Chair
- Travis County Women Lawyers’ Association, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Travis County Women Lawyers’ Foundation, Fellow
- Volunteer Legal Services, Clinic Volunteer
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals (5th, 9th, & 11th)
- All federal district courts in Texas