Kim’s practice focuses on business and commercial litigation in both state and federal court. One of the founding named partners of Reeves & Brightwell, Kim was previously a partner in the litigation section of Vinson & Elkins, L.L.P. Since being licensed in 1982, Kim has been lead trial counsel on large complex commercial litigation matters in both state and federal courts and has handled appellate matters in both the state and federal systems.
- Served as lead defense counsel in numerous class action proceedings involving allegations of product defects, unfair pricing practices, and misrepresentation
- Served as lead defense counsel defending professionals against allegations of negligence, malpractice, and breach of fiduciary duties
- As co-counsel, successfully defended at trial national software company against claims of trademark infringement
- Represented national real estate brokerage company in disputes over claimed breach of franchise agreements
- Represented national technology company in pursuing multi-million dollar claims of damages and lost profits caused by defective products that interrupted production
- Represented corporate officers and shareholders in litigation with other owners of a start-up telecommunications company
- Defended a multi-million dollar, multi-plaintiff, sexual harassment action brought in state court against a national cosmetics company
- Represented client in an action alleging breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, and fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation
- Honestech, Inc. v. Sonic Solutions, 430 Fed. Appx. 359 (5th Cir. 2011) (lead counsel in case where Court of Appeals upheld denial of motion for new trial following a jury verdict and holding that challenged expert testimony was properly admitted).
- Gov’t Computer Sales Inc., v. Dell Mktg., 199 Fed. Appx. 636, 638 (9th Cir. 2006) (lead counsel in case where Court of Appeals affirmed dismissal based on contract provisions of tort claims by reseller).
- Vinson & Elkins LLP – Associate 1982-1990; Partner 1991-2003
Honors and Awards
- Texas Monthly Texas Super Lawyer 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010
Activities and Affiliations
- Austin Bar Association – Civil Litigation Section
- U.S. Courts of Appeals (5th & 9th)
- All federal district courts in Texas